Saturday, Oct 21
Free Persian Music Workshop with Sahba Motallebi
Saturday, Oct 21
Music Across Borders, vol. 1: Sahba Motallebi (Iran / US) and the Ryan Spearman Band (Saint Louis)
Music Across Borders
American Voices and KDHX Community Media are proud to announce the first installment of MUSIC ACROSS BORDERS, a music and education series designed to enhance cultural understanding among peoples and nations. This event series brings American Voices' commitment to cultural exchange and collaboration to its hometown of St. Louis.
The MUSIC ACROSS BORDERS program includes:
- Performances and workshops at local schools
- Workshops local musicians
- Collaboration between the visiting artist and local musicians
- Outreach to refugee / immigrant and other community groups for participation in workshops, performances, and community gatherings
- Collaboration with local universities for panels, forums, and other opportunities for engagement
For over 25 years, St. Louis-based American Voices has created some of the most intriguing cross-cultural exchange projects around the world. It has run performing arts academies in nine countries, including Iraq, Syria, Lebanon and Sudan. It is currently putting together a Broadway revue tour in Pakistan, highlighting local performers adding their own South Asian twists to major contemporary musicals – Hamilton meets Bollywood. It has a long and admirable track record as the implementing partner of the U.S. Department of State’s American Music Abroad Program, supporting American musicians as they tour over 140 countries while sharing the best and most beautiful of America’s diverse culture.
With Music Across Borders, the organization is bringing its passion for international music and cross-cultural encounters home to St. Louis.